Friday, June 28, 2013

It feels like things are spiraling out of control ...

There are so many things in this life that are out of your control. Everything really. I mean, you can't really control decisions in the government, what people ultimately think or say about you. You can't force people to like you or stay with you. Relationships, work, whatever ... you have very little, if any, control over. It took me a really long time to realize that but once I did, things began to change for me.

A number of years ago I was in therapy. I was extremely depressed and drinking excessively. My sessions would consist of me in tears about things that I had no control over and I felt that nothing could be done to change that. Until one day I saw a picture of myself with friends at a club and realized that I was extremely (for me) over weight. That was the day I decided to make a change and take control of the one and only thing I TRULY had control over; myself.

That day I decided to weigh myself. 181 lbs ... holy crap. Well what did I do? I went home and drank a 1/2 bottle of vodka. The next day I decided to join My Fitness Pal. I had seen other peoples linked posts to "completed food diaries" and "such and such burned so many calories doing this and that" exercise. I talked to people who tracked their foods and found that they were losing weight. Those first few weeks were UGLY. I had no idea what to eat but I logged everything. I though that Lean Cuisines were healthy ... they are just low calorie/high sodium and I wasn't seeing the weight drop. I was hiking every day, but not using a heart rate monitor, so I was guessing how many calories I was burning. I changed that and took CONTROL by getting one.

I further took control by getting an at home workout program and after dropping the first 20 lbs I decided to Commit even further and picked up P90X. I had seen another member of MFP and her results and thought that was for me. I took CONTROL of my life. My depression went away, I was dropping weight, eating well and feeling much better about myself.

The point of this blog is this; The only thing you can control is you and what you do with your life. If you are out of shape and want to get into shape TAKE CONTROL, decide to commit to succeed. Your life is what you make of it. No one but you got you where you are today. You can't blame McDonalds, Burger King or Jack In the Box ... although some try and have brought suit to the courts. You control what goes into your mouth. You control the workouts you do (or don't do). NO ONE MADE YOU THIS WAY. Take control make that first step ... and if you want, I'll be here to help you

No comments:

Post a Comment